Wednesday 30 March 2016

Amateur Salt Water Taffy!


So this one time, I was like, yup, I'm going to make salt water taffy, no big deal. (If you want to skip random babble, skip the next 2 paragraphs) 

I'll just put all the ingredients in a pan and heat until the correct temperature, pour into an extremely well buttered dish and when cool enough pull and stretch,  bam:) it'll be the best...

Well this one time, I did all that, but I forgot to put the water. Hmm salt water taffy sans water. Odd. Well it happened, I had even double checked the recipe. Perhaps I'm going blind. Who knows. 

So this is the story. I salvaged, my candy by reheating it, with the water and a bit more butter. So this is it. This treat should be pretty foolproof, (case and point) 

Here we have it. This recipe is found at http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2012/08/homemade-salt-water-taffy-in-one-hour.html

I have pretty much exactly copied this recipe excluding the sprinkles they put in, 

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup golden syrup
1 tbsp butter (extra for greasing dish, hands, and again and again. So sticky)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp vanilla

You will need a candy thermometer. 

Place all ingredients, excluding vanilla into a medium sized pot, heat and stir until the mixture boils and reaches firm ball stage or 250F-255F.

Immediately pour into a buttered heat proof dish, do not get burned! pour the vanilla in when the candy is not scolding and gently mix it with a well buttered utensil, in my case a bread scraper, then...

Let the mixture cool until you can handle, then pull the candy and stretch and stretch and stretch and twist and fold and bend and you got it, stretch.

Then stretch into a fairly consistent sized length. Let cool completely, then cut with a knife or scissors. My small size made approx 60 pieces. That I wrapped in wax paper. Here are the pics. 

Please try this, and let me know how it went. 













No comments:

Post a Comment